Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thursday September 1st, 2011

Pretty good WOD today. Just some background; had surgery on my tailbone July 18th, 2011 and this will be only the second time hitting any type of lower body since then.


Been following the crossfitfootball main page for about 2 weeks or so now; really focusing on strength and raw power in the next few months. I feel this website mixes it up pretty well for my level of experience and prior powerlifting background.

Backsquats
45(lbs)-15 ; 95-10 ; 145-5 ; 195 12x2 45 second rest interval
Pretty happy with this, considering legs haven't been dusted off but twice in the past month and a half. HA I'm one of those sick bastards that actually love legs. While most people are satisfied with their leg presses and hamstring curls, I'm not satisfied until my ass is down in the hole with the bar crushing down on my traps. NO PUSS PAD! Please and thank you :)

Bench Press
65-10 ; 85-8 ; 105-6  ; 125-4 ; 145-3 ; 165-2 ; 185-1 ; 205-5 ; 195-5 ; 185-5
I have a different approach on warming up than most with my presses; or any of my lifts for that matter. I've found that working up from such a light weight and focusing on the contractions really helps to grease the groove. Remembering back to March 4, 2009 when I blew my back warming up for heavier deadlifts, I wish I had known what I know now about my body. But such is life and it has brought me to where I am now. Bench has always been my WORST, and I mean worst, excercise. Never really gave it the time of day, however. So, howmuchyabench? 250 fuck off :) I'm working on it. Bench to me is from a full lock-out, down to touch the chest, explode off. No half reps, and no dropping the weights and bouncing it off the birdchest that you've built over the years of benching with horrible form.

DB One-Arm Row
3xMax reps @50% BW
13, 10, 12 with 95 lbs
I work my DB rows very slow and controlled. Although I am just training for power right now, I still make sure to keep a conscious effort on both the concentric and eccentric portions of the lift, with a pause and squeeze at the top, and a full stretch at the bottom. What are we really accomplishing by half-assedly yanking the weights up and down??

6 Rounds for Max Reps
Plyo Push-Ups
20 Yd Shuttle Run
90s Rest

1-16 Plyos
2-13 Plyos
3-14 Plyos
4-12 Plyos
5-13 Plyos
6-12 Plyos

Plyo Push-Up being constituted as "Perform a plyo push up by placing one hand on a 45 lbs plate and the other on the floor, perform an explosive push up that allows you to transition the hand on the floor to hand on the plate."

That's enough for today :) Drove home and fixed up a pretty sweet post-workout meal of boiled potatoes, chicken, and green beans. Hate vegetables, but I can do green beans lol Washed that down with some good ol' milk and, thanks to my wonderful co-worker Snead, a bite sized Snickers Peanut Butter along with the good ol' Pak. Puttin in a full shift tonight at work and callin it a day. We shall see what tomorrow will bring me; nonetheless, never ready, always willing.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment